All incoming Vertoans MUST attend three virtual Pre-Departure Orientation sessions prior to their study abroad experience—the Global Orientation, Location Orientation, and Care Team Hangout.
If your pathway to Verto included an invitation from one of our partner colleges, you may be invited to an additional required event to cover details for a smooth transition back to your university after studying abroad.
All event details and registration is located in the Student Portal.
We also encourage you to attend our other optional Community Events including monthly hangouts, workshops, affinity groups, and more. See the full event list in your Student Portal.
Passports Visas & Flights
Purchase your flights as soon as you know your location’s official arrival date and arrival time window. This information will be made available on the Student Portal.
Participants traveling to Italy will need to have roundtrip flights booked in order to apply for their student visas. As such, you must purchase your flight as soon as the official arrival date is made public on the Student Portal.
For all locations, you will want to make sure your flight arrives on your location’s official arrival date during the designated arrival time window so that you will be eligible for Verto’s airport pickup service.
If you are arriving outside of the designated day and time frame, you will be responsible for coordinating and paying for your own transportation. The location team will be able to provide you with the address of your residence so that you can reach there on your own on official arrival day or after.
Health & Safety
Domestic, independent participant travel is permitted during periods when required classes and activities are not being held (e.g., weekends or holidays), unless otherwise indicated by local staff.
Extended overnight travel – or independent international travel – is likewise permitted, but participants must check with local staff before making any out-of-country travel plans, and register their travel plans with Verto staff. Whether you travel internationally or domestically, all participants must submit an Independent Travel Form (online-digital document) prior to extended absences from their site.
If participants travel internationally without explicit permission of local staff, they may face disciplinary action.
In order to participate with Verto, you must take a minimum of 12 credits. The credits allotted to each course vary, with one course usually counting towards 3 or 4 credits on average. Participants typically take 4 or 5 courses. If you want to take more than 5 courses, you must seek approval from the Verto academic team by emailing [email protected].
All courses, credits, and transcripts at Verto locations are delivered by our accredited Academic Provider, the University of New Haven.
Your Experience Abroad
Mental Health & Settling In:
- Mental Health Advice For Students Planning To Travel
- Participant Blog: Tips to Conquering Homesickness
- Participant Blog: Adapting to Different Cultures
- Positionality—What Is It And How Does It Affect My Semester Abroad?
- Pre-Departure Guide: LGBTQIA+ Identity Abroad
- Pre-Departure Guide: First Generation Students
Packing & Logistics:
- Participant Blog: Top 10 tips for packing for your Verto adventure
- 7 Tips For A Sustainable Packing List
- How To Apply For A United States Passport
- Participant Blog: Packing, I Know Better This Time
Get to Know Your City:
- Students’ Guide To Buenos Aires, Argentina
- Students’ Guide To Prague, Czech Republic
- Students’ Guide To Florence, Italy
- Students’ Guide to London, England
- Students’ Guide To Seville, Spain
- How to Find a Place of Worship in Seville
- Participant Blog: 10 Reasons To Live With A Host Family In Seville
- Florence LGBTQ+ Student Travel Guide
- Prague LGBTQ+ Student Travel Guide
- Buenos Aires LGBTQ+ Student Travel Guide
- Seville LGBTQ+ Student Travel Guide
- Costa Rica LGBTQ+ Student Travel Guide
- London LGBTQ+ Student Travel Guide
Financial Services & Billing
Looking for additional resources?
Check out our Packing Lists, Arrival Details, and more for your abroad location.
- Home Page
- About Verto
- Admissions & Academics
- Abroad Locations
- Partner Colleges
- Participant Resources
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Refer a Student