At Verto Education, the health and safety of our students is a core priority. Student and family preparations play a big role in ensuring Verto students are able to have life-changing experiences without interruption. So, what can you do now to prepare?
In terms of vaccinations for our on-campus and field semesters, Verto would like to stress that we legally cannot make official medical recommendations. However, Verto can provide some suggestions to help you prepare for your semester abroad. On a Verto semester, we do not require any specific vaccinations for participation, but we do strongly recommend students discuss appropriate vaccinations with their general practitioner and travel doctor as early as possible before departure.
We also suggest you do the following to ensure a healthy and safe semester:
- Research your country or countries of travel. Refer to your semester to find the itinerary and understand the locations you’ll be visiting.
- Refer to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) website to learn about recommended and optional vaccines and medications specific to your travel destinations.
- When specific questions or concerns arise regarding personal medications or vaccinations, contact International SOS (ISOS) and talk with their medical specialists at 215.354.5000. You will need to provide your membership number that you received within your enrollment confirmation to access the medical team.
- Discuss this information with your general physician or local travel doctor. If you don’t know how to find a local travel clinic, here are a few suggestions:
- Call your general physician, let them know your travel plans, and ask for travel doctor referrals.
- Contact your local Public Health office.
- Look up www.passporthealthusa.com for recommended travel clinics in your area.
- Check with your current insurance provider. Some vaccination and medication expenses might be covered by your existing medical insurance provider. It’s always good practice to discuss these expenses with your insurance provider before paying out of pocket.
Pro-Tip: Lead-time is important with certain vaccinations. Some immunizations involve a series of treatments spanning several weeks. We suggest taking action at least eight weeks prior to your departure date.
At Verto Education, our semesters help students seek purpose and meaning through top quality experiential education. That all starts with a healthy cohort of staff and students. Please consider utilizing the resources above to check in with your physician as soon as possible and don’t hesitate to reach out to our team if you need any assistance.