Senior Accounting Manager/Controller
Senior Accounting Manager/Controller
Verto is on a mission to provide the best possible start to college. We start by making travel and experiential education an affordable and accessible pathway to a 4-year college degree. Our participants begin college abroad in one of six Verto locations, before seamlessly transferring to one of over 70 partner universities in the United States. While completing one or more experiences with Verto, participants become more mature, empathetic global citizens who have a greater sense of purpose and direction for their lives.
At Verto, we founded a new model. In partnership with our non-profit arm, The Verto Fund, we’re driving costs down and providing generous discounts, grants, and scholarships, especially to participants of low-income backgrounds. We’re creating a space for participants to thrive in the most diverse coming-of-age semester abroad out there while permitting a chance for discovery into who they are before deciding on a college major. We’re out to build a transformational company that makes higher education more equitable, accessible, and impactful. We are backed by First Round Capital and other top VCs.
At Verto Education we value voices of all backgrounds and experiences. We know that creating a diverse environment takes dedication and intentional hiring practices. We are cognizant of the gap between our current state and our commitments. In order to bridge that gap, we have to humbly evaluate where we are today.
This position can be filled at either the Senior Accounting Manager level or the Controller level. The level at which this position is filled will be determined at the time of hire by considering the candidate’s overall experience, education, and credentials.
The Senior Accounting Manager/Controller is responsible for managing accounting for Verto, Inc. and its subsidiaries (UK, Italy, Buenos Aires, Costa Rica, etc.). This position will ensure uniformity, in accordance with local governance and established internal accounting standards, maintenance of global accounting records, and consistent adherence of all financial controls and standards throughout the organization. This position will oversee, in collaboration with accounting firms / advisors in each location, Verto’s international entities accounting records and practices, global cash management and treasury operations, and applicable tax standards to ensure assets are properly utilized and protected.
- Partner with Vice President of Finance in creating oversight mechanisms for Verto’s financial responsibilities and adherence to global accounting policies and compliance.
- Manage the establishment of future global accounting and financial processes and systems used to provide critical information to leadership, inclusive of actionable recommendations based on experience and professional success in international and domestic financial management.
- Maintain a documented system of accounting policies and procedures across 6+ entities; implements an international system of controls over accounting transactions to minimize and mitigate risk
- Lead development of accurate accounting and financial tracking throughout the organization inclusive of programmatic P&L
- Partner with the Vice President of Finance to oversee the organization’s annual audit
- Responsible for supplying monthly, quarterly financials and annual auditing results, annual tax filings, and presenting outcomes as need and requested
- Serve as the global accounting, compliance, tax and related policy subject matter expert to the organization
- Manage all accounts, ledger, and reporting systems and ensure timely and accurate monthly, quarterly, and annual reporting that follows appropriate GAAP standards and regulatory requirements
- Standardize accounting policies and practices globally to ensure uniformity and promote consistency
- Ensure daily treasury related activities, accounts payable, and accounts receivable activities are executed in a timely manner per established policies and procedures
- In collaboration with the Vice President of Finance, implement a new ERP
- Performs other related duties as necessary or assigned.
WHO WE’RE LOOKING FOR
- Strategic Thinker: You can plot the chess moves a year ahead of time and develop a credible plan to deliver amazing value to our students.
- Influential communicator: You are a thoughtful communicator who can sell ideas, gather resources, and rally stakeholders.
- Strong Executor: You value getting things done and hitting deadlines. You have a track record of delivering under pressure.
- Humble Collaborator: You bring kindness and empathy to your working relationships and put the team’s success before your own.
- Mission-Driven: You deeply believe that education has the power to transform lives and you want to give more young people a chance to thrive.
Basic Requirements and Qualifications
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting, finance, or a related field
- CPA required
- Cross-cultural competency and ability to explain complex accounting terms
- Excellent core finance and accounting skills; advanced knowledge of the accounting field
- An understanding of both the strategic and operational elements of accounting, and how they enable the organization to achieve its financial goals
- High integrity and honesty; you take responsibility and are accountable to both internal and external stakeholders
- Excellent organizational, analytical, and problem-solving skills. You can investigate and analyze information and draw conclusions.
- Strong computer skills, experience with Google suite and Microsoft suites, including Excel, Word and Powerpoint.
- Ability to work remotely – this is a remote position
- Ability to travel at least 3-4 weeks per year (additonal travel may be required)
- Must be physically located in the United States and able to work +/- 1 hour of the continental US Time Zones
For Senior Accounting Manager Level:
- 8+ years experience in accounting, with 4+ years direct experience building and managing the Accounting function at a multinational organization.
For Controller Level:
- 12+ years experience in accounting, with 6+ years direct experience building and running the Accounting function at a multinational organization.
- Masters degree in Accounting, Finance, Business Administration, or a related field
- Experience in an early-stage startup
- Experience supporting fundraising efforts
However, even if you don’t meet 100% of the above qualifications, you should still seriously consider applying. Studies show that you can still be considered for a role if you meet just 50% of the role’s requirements.
The salary range for the Senior Accounting Manager level is $80,000 – $90,000.
The salary range for the Controller level is $125,000 – $150,000.
- 100% remote first organization
- Base Compensation
- Unlimited vacation and sick time
- Full medical, dental, vision & life insurance
- Fully funded Short and Long-Term Disability
- Paid Parental & Maternity Leave
- Stock Equity for every employee
- 401K Program with Financial coaching sessions with a certified financial planner
Equal Opportunity Employer
Verto Education is an Equal Opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex including sexual orientation and gender identity, national origin, disability, protected Veteran Status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state, or local law.