Sr. Academic Systems Analyst
Sr. Academic Systems Analyst
Verto is on a mission to provide the best possible start to college. We start by making travel and experiential education a core part of every student’s first year. Our participants begin college overseas in one of six Verto locations and take fully accredited in-person classes from our Academic Provider, the University of New Haven. After completing 1-4 semesters with Verto, participants seamlessly transfer to one of 70 partner universities in the United States. Along the way, participants become more mature, empathetic global citizens who have a greater sense of purpose and direction for their lives.
At Verto, we’re creating a different model. We’re driving the costs down and acceptance rates up. We connect participants to the world and give them a chance to discover who they are before making them choose a major. We’re out to build a transformational company that makes higher education more accessible and impactful. We are backed by First Round Capital and other top VCs.
At Verto Education we value voices of all backgrounds and experiences. We know that creating a diverse environment takes dedication and intentional hiring practices. We are cognizant of the gap between our current state and our commitments. In order to bridge that gap, we have to humbly evaluate where we are today.
The Digital Product department is committed to supporting future and current organizational objectives through the design, implementation, and execution of strategic, innovative, data-driven, and research-based practices in support of Verto's mission. Our entire product & engineering teams are dedicated to creating the best, most student-centric technology platform in all of higher education. The Digital Product team serves as champions across the organization to ensure each and every system creates a significant impact on achieving organizational goals aligned with the Mission and Vision of Verto Education.
Sr. Academic Systems Analyst
The Sr. Academic Systems Analyst is responsible for maintaining and improving the Information Systems that house our student records, academic data and other supplemental student information. You should be driven by our North Star: create the best technology platform in higher education. Utilizing the Salesforce platform as your base, the tools you will build and manage will impact Students, Staff, Faculty, University Partners and our Academic Providers. Ensuring integrity in academic data is critical to success. This role will encompass a technical component as well as relationship management. You will serve as the primary point of contact for our internal Academics Teams as well as our external Academic Providers / University Partners. In this role, you will serve as a key component to Verto’s success in the Higher Education space. This position will have a significant amount of responsibility and impact across the organization.
The ideal candidate will be a highly motivated self-starter who can operate at start-up speed and is not afraid to work hard, and with enthusiasm. This role requires an ability to create and maintain efficient, scalable systems and processes and experience while mentoring other team members. You will have a strong understanding of managing academic data, working across different types of Student Information Systems and are excited about building out our home-grown Verto student and academic records platform.
- Business Requirements: Responsible for requirements gathering, project management and delivery for all things academics and academics provider. Translate Academic Policies and Procedures into technical requirements for development, managing complex business requirements and corresponding development requirements. Ensure that appropriate stakeholders are involved, multiple perspectives represented and appropriate approval processes followed.
- Anticipate the unexpected: Can see around corners and provide insight into all things academics – prepare both academic and technology teams for any “unseen” impacts surrounding grades, eligibility, course registration, student data, Academic Provider policies, etc.
- Process documentation and implementation: Responsible for documentation of overall design, configuration, maintenance, testing, and support of all Academics systems and data.
- Academic Provider: Responsible for data integrations between Verto and our Academic Providers, serving as primary point of contact for all technical integrations and related communications.
- User Training & Support: Responsible for coordinating and facilitating technology training for the Academics teams (inclusive of global Faculty and Staff and Academic Headquarters or other key stakeholders); meet regularly with academic teams and designated ‘power users’ for relevant systems.
- Complete Salesforce Administrative tasks as needed.
- Ownership over LMS implementation and integrations (e.g. Canvas, Cengage), working closely with the Academic team each semester to support utilization.
- Research existing tools in the academic market, stay updated on good practices for academic data management and academic systems implementation.
- Must be able to work remotely full-time, this is a remote position.
- Other Duties, as assigned.
WHO WE’RE LOOKING FOR
- Strategic Thinker: You can plot the chess moves a year ahead of time and develop a credible plan to deliver amazing value to our participants.
- Influential communicator: You are a thoughtful communicator who can sell ideas, gather resources, and rally stakeholders.
- Strong Executor: You value getting things done and hitting deadlines. You have a track record of delivering under pressure.
- Humble Collaborator: You bring kindness and empathy to your working relationships and put the team’s success before your own.
- Mission-Driven: You deeply believe that education has the power to transform lives and you want to give more young people a chance to thrive.
Minimum Requirements and Qualifications
- Ability to work remote, this is a remote position.
- Able to travel at least 1-2 weeks per year
- Must be based in the US, and work on a time zone 1 hour +/- those in the continental US. (Example: GMT -8 through GMT -3)
- 3-5 years experience at an institution of higher education with direct experience working with a student information system
- Expert implementing Student Information Systems. Knowledge of best practices and proven experience building an SIS from the ground up.
- Strong working knowledge of federal and state laws, in particular FERPA and mandates pertaining to enrollment and student records and to institutional compliance, including knowledge of best practices, current trends and issues in higher education pertaining to academic records.
- Experience supporting Slate and Banner
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills; the ability to provide verbal and written information, with clear instructions as to the processes.
- Self-motivated and self-directed.
- Excellent problem-solving skills; ability to investigate and analyze information and draw conclusions.
- Strong computer skills, including Google suite and Microsoft suites, to include Excel, Word and Powerpoint.
- Ability to work independently
Preferred Requirements and Qualifications
- Experience implementing Salesforce as an SIS
- Experience working with Salesforce Education Cloud
- Salesforce 201 (Admin) Certification, Platform App Builder, Education Cloud Certification
- Experience with Canvas, Cengage and other LMS technologies
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Information Technology, Information Systems, Business Management and/or equivalent work experience
- Experience working directly with academic administration and faculty
However, even if you don’t meet 100% of the above qualifications, you should still seriously consider applying. Studies show that you can still be considered for a role if you meet just 50% of the role’s requirements.
Compensation & Benefits
The below are or full time HQ Employees (benefits for international staff benefits vary by location and meet or exceed local standards
- 100% remote first organization
- Base Compensation
- Unlimited vacation and sick time
- Full medical, dental, vision & life insurance
- Fully funded Short and Long-Term Disability
- Paid Parental & Maternity Leave
- Stock Equity for every employee
- 401K Program with Financial coaching sessions with a certified financial planner
- Pay Range for this role is $80,000-$140,000 Annually (depending on experience)
Equal Opportunity Employer
Verto Education is an Equal Opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex including sexual orientation and gender identity, national origin, disability, protected Veteran Status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state, or local law.