Vice President of Finance
Vice President of Finance
Verto is on a mission to provide the best possible start to college. We start by making travel and experiential education an affordable and accessible pathway to a 4-year college degree. Our participants begin college abroad in one of seven Verto locations, before seamlessly transferring to one of over 70 partner universities in the United States. While completing one or more experiences with Verto, participants become more mature, empathetic global citizens who have a greater sense of purpose and direction for their lives.
At Verto, we founded a new model. In partnership with our non-profit arm, The Verto Fund, we’re driving costs down and providing generous discounts, grants, and scholarships, especially to participants of low-income backgrounds. We’re creating a space for participants to thrive in the most diverse coming-of-age semester abroad out there while permitting a chance for discovery into who they are before deciding on a college major. We’re out to build a transformational company that makes higher education more equitable, accessible, and impactful. We are backed by First Round Capital and other top VCs.
At Verto Education we value voices of all backgrounds and experiences. We know that creating a diverse environment takes dedication and intentional hiring practices. We are cognizant of the gap between our current state and our commitments. In order to bridge that gap, we have to humbly evaluate where we are today.
The VP of Finance will work closely with the executive leadership team to optimize financial decision-making and build compliant infrastructure to support rapid expansion. This key leadership role is fast-paced and highly collaborative and will impact all aspects of Verto’s business. The VP of Finance will take full ownership of finance operations and lead the organization in setting and achieving its goals.
The ideal candidate will be an experienced ‘full stack’ leader who can operate at start-up speed and is not afraid to work hard, and with enthusiasm. The ideal candidate will need to be a clear communicator with the ability to translate complex financial concepts to a non-finance audience. This role requires an ability to create and maintain efficient, scalable systems and processes and experience with mentoring and supervising staff.
- Design, hire, and manage our finance department.
- Design and implement systems, processes, internal controls, and policies that will scale with future growth for financial reporting analysis, forecasting, accounting, and legal.
- Build and maintain financial and company-wide KPI dashboards and act as a catalyst in establishing those KPIs.
- Work with the executive team to create business plans, financial models, and monthly analyses capturing key financial and operational performance metrics.
- Oversee the process to upgrade of financial software to a modern ERP system that can support Verto growth. Further optimize finance & accounting processes and tech stacks, recommending solutions that are right-sized for the business but are able to scale
- Conduct multi-scenario financial projections analyses and surface key insights to company leadership that will inform strategic planning.
- Make data-driven recommendations with an eye toward evolving our business model as we scale
- Partner proactively with People Operations, Legal and IT teammates to analyze decisions related to employee compensation and benefits, stock options, hiring plans, and multi-market operations.
- Prepare and distribute annual, quarterly & monthly financial reports to investors, adding insightful commentary to Management's Discussion & Analysis. Participate in communications to the Board of Directors alongside the CEO, expertly fielding questions based on your knowledge of a) technical finance & accounting concepts, and b) the key financial drivers of our business.
- Advise on private equity, venture capital, grant funding or debt financing options, partnering with the leadership team to execute future capital raises, due diligence processes, and/or M&A events.
WHO WE’RE LOOKING FOR
- Strategic Thinker: You can plot the chess moves a year ahead of time and develop a credible plan to deliver amazing value to our students.
- Influential communicator: You are a thoughtful communicator who can sell ideas, gather resources, and rally stakeholders.
- Strong Executor: You value getting things done and hitting deadlines. You have a track record of delivering under pressure.
- Humble Collaborator: You bring kindness and empathy to your working relationships and put the team’s success before your own.
- Mission-Driven: You deeply believe that education has the power to transform lives and you want to give more young people a chance to thrive.
Requirements and Qualifications
- Ability to work remotely, and travel as-needed
- Bachelor’s degree. MBA or equivalent a plus
- 8+ years experience, with 2-3 years direct experience building and running the Finance function at a hyper-growth startup. Strong FP&A background is a plus.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills; the ability to provide verbal and written information, with clear instructions as to the processes.
- Self-motivated and self-directed. Excellent core finance and accounting skills; CPA is a plus
- Excitement to tackle both the strategic and operational elements of finance, including setting the strategy while implementing best in class tech, systems and processes to enable the organization to achieve its financial goals
- Excellent organizational and analytical skills
- High integrity and honesty; you take responsibility and are accountable to both internal and external stakeholders
- Excellent problem-solving skills; ability to investigate and analyze information and draw conclusions.
- Strong computer skills, including Google suite and Microsoft suites, to include Excel, Word and Powerpoint.
- Ability to work independently
- Experience in an early-stage startup strongly preferred; experience supporting fundraising efforts a plus.
- Demonstrated expertise in financial analysis, reporting, and modeling, including advanced knowledge of corporate accounting
- Ability to travel at least 1-2 weeks per year (more if needed for position specific requirements)
- Must be physically located in the United States and able to work +/- 1 hour of the continental US Time Zones
However, even if you don’t meet 100% of the above qualifications, you should still seriously consider applying. Studies show that you can still be considered for a role if you meet just 50% of the role’s requirements.
Compensation & Benefits
- 100% remote first organization
- Base Compensation
- Unlimited vacation and sick time
- Full medical, dental, vision & life insurance
- Fully funded Short and Long-Term Disability
- Paid Parental & Maternity Leave
- Stock Equity for every employee
- 401K Program with Financial coaching sessions with a certified financial planner
Equal Opportunity Employer
Verto Education is an Equal Opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex including sexual orientation and gender identity, national origin, disability, protected Veteran Status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state, or local law.